Sunday, June 29, 2014

Weekend Worship—Obedience Where I Am Now

He who is faithful in very little is faithful also in much... Luke 16:10

When I was young all I wanted to be was a writer. As a matter of fact, I actually wrote my first novel in eighth grade…long hand, with a purple ink pen. But through the years, my dream of writing drifted farther and farther from the realm of reasonable possibilities, until I finally I gave up.

But as a young mother of three kids, God revived that call. At first I was scared, but then I got excited. Oh the plans I made—I’d write Bible studies and spend my time traveling, speaking and working for God.

I finished my first Bible study and the printer ink was barely dry before I had the manuscript in an envelope and on the way to publisher. I could see my future so clearly and I was on fire, with plans to do great things in His kingdom. All He had to do was open this one door.

Not only did He not open that door, it seemed every other door had slammed shut and locked. It quickly became obvious that going and doing weren’t part of the call He’d placed on my life. Instead, the doors at home began to swing wide, as He invited me to share my story with those closest to me. 

As I swallowed my pride and became obedient to act where He’d placed me, the fruit began to grow. Years later, going and doing has become part of my call, but first I’d had to learn obedience and the difference between His will and mine.

7 comments:

  1. I totally understand where you are coming from. I've written all my life and planned to become a "famous Christian author." Then I got married, had kids, raised all five of them, and just when I thought it was time, we adopted three special needs. Only now, after working on it for more than ten years, am I in the process of having my first book published "For Sanity's Sake: 365 Days of Devotions for the Menopausal Woman." The title alone tells you how long I've had this dream. Finally, in my fifties, it is God's time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, congratulations on your book! Thank you for sharing you story, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I get what you're saying too. I had dreams of becoming a speaker, writer and motivator. I wanted to influence heart patients to make healthier lifestyle choices. I even conducted a few seminars. It's interesting to see how the Lord has brought me to a new place. The name of my blog is Heart Choices. I've realized that the day to day choices we make impact what our tomorrows become. So now I get to blog about those daily choices! Those choices impact body, soul and spirit. I am able to write about my faith in Jesus and how He strengthens me each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, that's so cool! You have a great blog and it impacts so many in such a positive way. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your journey, Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Convicting, Edie. It's so easy to see where we want to be and become impatient with where we are now, believing we'll never arrive. You know me well enough to know I face this one plenty. Being faithful to God with what we have, where we are now, is perhaps what we need to do. The rest will come later--IF he wants it to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, it's difficult to reach the point of being willing to serve where we are, instead of where we want to be. I think you've managed this with a lot of grace and joy. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. We never know who or what we are going to influence by our lives. We are only told to serve as we go in our daily lives. The plans of the heart...

    ReplyDelete