Tuesday, December 17, 2013

How to Add ClickToTweet to Your Blog

by Edie Melson

I’ve gotten lots of positive feedback since I’ve included TWEETABLES to the end of a lot of my blog posts. Readers like the fact that they don’t have to come up with Tweets and FB updates to share my posts.

I like it because I can compose the updates I want, complete with hashtags.

Many people want to know how I do it, so today I’m going to share how to add ClickToTweet to your blog. Susan Stilwell shared the directions for this a little over a year ago, but the ClickToTweet interface has changed so I wanted to give you the updated instructions.


First, you’ll need to have several windows open at once.
  • Open the website www.bitly.com. You’ll need this to get a shortened URL to plug into your tweet.
  • Finally, open the compose window of your blog (this works equally well in Blogger, Typepad, and WordPress). 

Step-by-Step Instructions
1. Compose your blog post like normal. Make sure your blog post has a title. You’ll need this to get the permalink, but more about that later. At the end of your post, compose a Tweet. I usually compose two and I label them TWEETABLES.


2. Copy your permalink. Below are screenshots of where you’ll find the permalink in Blogger, Wordpress and Typepad.

Permalink position in Blogger
Permalink position in Wordpress
Permalink position in Typepad

3. Copy the permalink—begin with http://—and paste it into Bitly. There's no need to sign in or create an account if you don't want to.

Copy your permalink into the window on Bitly.
4. Click SHORTEN. In a few minutes, you'll come back to this window and click COPY.
When you come back to this window, you'll click COPY.
5. Go to the ClickToTweet window and click BASIC LINK. Again, there's no need to open an account or sign in with Twitter. I do, because I use it so often, but you don't have to.

Choose BASIC LINK from this pane.
6. From your blog's compose window, copy your tweet and paste it into the BASIC LINK pane. After you paste your Tweet, you'll want to add hashtags, your Twitter handle and your shortened URL from Bitly. Once you're happy with it, click GENERATE NEW LINK.

Don't forget to keep an eye on the Number of Characters you use when composing your tweet. Because this is specifically designed for Twitter, you're limited to no more than 140 Characters. 
7. Once you're happy with your Tweet, click GENERATE NEW LINK. Be sure to keep an eye on the number of characters you use when composing your tweet. Because this program is specifically designed for Twitter, you're limited to no more than 140 Characters.

8. Copy the shortened link, and return to the compose window of your blog. Add the words Click To Tweet in parenthesis at the end of the social media update you composed. Then highlight the entire thing. Click LINK and paste the shortened ClickToTweet link into the pane. 

This screenshot shows where you add (Click to Tweet) to your TWEETABLES,  find LINK in your blog's compose window and where to paste the ClickToTweet URL.
Additional Information:
  • I only include the main body of the Tweet under my TWEETABLES. This keeps it from confusing folks who don't know about hashtags and things, and keeps the look of this section neat.
  • I hyperlink the ENTIRE Tweet, NOT just the (Click to Tweet) on purpose. Hyperlinks are searchable in search engines and your blog will get more SEO benefit if you link to things people would actually type into a search engine. (Rarely does anyone type in Click to Tweet or Post or Click Here). Want to know more about Hyperlinks? Read my post on Everything You Need to Know About Links.

If you have any questions, be sure to post them in the comments section below.

And don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES

15 comments:

  1. Adding this to my favorites. I'll have to study it :o)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, if you have questions, post them here or email me. Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Betty, I'm so glad you found this helpful! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Edie,
    You have made this behind-the-curve blogger consistently more techno savvy with your easy to follow instructions on blogging techniques I've wondered about. Pictures are especially helpful, too :) Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, trust me, we all FEEL like we're behind the curve! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. I wondered how you did that!! Thanks, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ane, It seems complicated the first time you do it, but after a couple of times you won't even have to think about it anymore! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Hi Edie, great info. Another easy tool if you're on WordPress is a plugin called "TweetHerder." It installs a button on your post/page toolbar that allows you to click and type your tweet text and that's it!

    Blessings to you this advent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, thank you for sharing that. I didn't know about that particular plugin. Is it available for the free version of WordPress as well as the self-hosted version? Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. I believe it's just for self-hosted WP installations, but I haven't tried it on a wordpress.com blog. http://wordpress.org/plugins/tweetherder/

      Delete
  6. Like Connie, I'm adding it to my favorites so I can go back and study it. Thank you, Edie!! But this arrived just as I'd decided I needed to learn how to add click to tweet on my blogs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I'm glad the timing was good! Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. I really like being able to tweet these bits. I wish there was a shorter way to creating them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it seems clunky the first few times you use it. Now I can do it almost in my sleep. Blessings, E

      Delete