Sunday, November 13, 2011

Weekend Worship—Exceeding Abundance

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen Ephesians 3:20-21

I stared at the letter in my hand, almost unable to comprehend what I read. It was two days before Christmas, 1999. I’d been so sure God had called me to write, specifically to write Bible studies. This particular manuscript had been at the publishers over a year and, until now, I’d only received encouragement about the progress toward my first book contract.

Dear Mrs. Melson, We’re sorry but this manuscript doesn’t fit
 our needs at this time. While it’s a good manuscript, you just 
don’t have the platform needed.

First came the tears, then anger and frustration. Why had God planted this seed of hope within me only to deny me the opportunity?

Fast forward to Christmas 2007, the first year our family celebrated Christmas apart. Our oldest was serving as an infantry marine in Iraq. To say it was a tough year is almost a laughable understatement, but we made it through. God brought our son home safe.

Last night was the launch of my book, Fighting Fear: Winning the War atHome When Your Soldier Leaves for Battle. It’s a book that was birthed during the struggles of living with a son at war. God orchestrated an unusual venue for the book launch. It was at a professional hockey game, GreenvilleRoad Warriors. This team has an annual Tribute to the Military and had invited me to be a part of it this year.

For a writer, this was truly a dream come true. During the first intermission, I sat in the darkened convention center with the other fans, while the trailer to my book played on the huge video screens hanging above the ice. And as I was interviewed rink side, I heard the roar of the cheering of the crowd as she announced my son was in the audience.


Without that seed of hope, planted so many years earlier, I’d never have been ready to write this book. Was it worth the wait? You bet it was.

9 comments:

  1. May God add His richest blessings to the placing of this book in many hands and hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Your book will bless so many people who truly need the encouragement during this time. God is working through you--what a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Edie! May many find hope and encouragement through your labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so true that what at first seems the end of the world and the end of a dream can so often actually be just a different beginning than what we had envisioned. God has a hand in it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the plans He has for you! Can't wait to see what He has for you next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so proud to know you. Growing up in a military family, this one's special to me. And what a way for it to enter the world. : )

    If you have anything I can post on my blog to promote your book, let me know. I'd love to get the word out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. His ways are not ours--Thank God-- An important book, Edie, Congrats for faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edie, I'm so excited for you! I can only imagine the thrill of watching your book trailer in such a grand venue.

    I prayed for your son's return many times, and that now blesses me beyond words. Praise God!

    Many blessings on your ministry and new book!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great testimony, and such an encouragement to those of us who need a boost!

    ReplyDelete