by Dee Topliff
Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning, God created ... "
John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
God is the master communicator, the great initiator. He shapes us in His image and imprints in us His same desire to create and communicate. He ignites the creative spark, which becomes the catalyst for our desire to craft stories that cause others to respond.
God also cares about what each of us writes, custom-tailoring our messages and stories to who we are--while teaching us life lessons as His inspiration flows through us.
As 2010 draws to a close, consider this Writer's Covenant for the coming year:
Since ancient times, God has used human language to reach men and women. God Himself first wrote His messages on stone (Exodus 31:18), then in His Son (John 1: 1-2), and now in our hearts (2 Corinthians 3:2). We are indebted to both His written Word and to the writings of gifted men and women. Though we are imperfect tools, in God's hands and with his Help, we resolve that this year we will:
- stir up God's gift within us
- persevere when writing is hard, when we are tired, when our attempts are rejected
- remember that when others seem to have greater gifts or natural ability, no one else possesses our combination of personality or experience
- submit our talents and efforts for God's use and direction
- seek to learn more of our craft while working to develop our skills so that we grow as writers and as God's keen instruments
Lord, sharpen our ears to hear your thoughts and inspirations. When You speak, help us give undivided attention, so that we receive the full impact of who You are, producing results infused with the maximum of You, the minimum of us.
Open our eyes to see clearly, glimpsing your long-range cause and effects, identifying triggering story events and far-reaching consequences.
Open our hearts to change and grow through encountering You, through loving You as You deserve, and to give out of the overflowing abundance.
Open our mouths to praise You and to encourage others.
Strengthen our hands to write as your inspired and faithful scribes.
(Covenant adapted from an unknown source)